Continuous assessment: 40% End of Semester Examination: 60%
- To introduce the student to the study of the Church as a discipline within theology.
- To gain an understanding of the origin, mystery, structure, and mission of the Church.
- To be able to integrate this study of the Church within a broader theological framework, with particular reference to the other theological modules covered in semester one.
- — Will be able to explain the Christological and apostolic foundation of the Church
- — Will be able to explain the mission and raison d'etre of the Church
- — Will be able to discuss the nature of the Church according to key ecclesiological themes, e.g., 'People of God' and 'Body of Christ'.
- — Will be able to appreciate the significance of Lumen Gentium, and make theological connections with a number of Vatican II documents covered in other first semester modules (Dei Verbum and Gaudium et Spes)