Continuous assessment: 40% End of semester examination: 60%
Aims: The aim of the module is to introduce students to the mystery and mission of the Church.
Texts to be read (include, but are not limited to):
1) Mystici Corporis
2) Lumen Gentium
2) Selections from other documents from the Second Vatican Council (e.g., Ad Gentes)
3) Selections from the Church Fathers and Thomas Aquinas’s Summa Theologiae
- — Outline the structure and content of Lumen Gentium.
- — Provide data from Scripture and Tradition from whence the following major ecclesiological themes are developed: Body of Christ Bride of Christ Temple of the Holy Spirit (Holy Spirit as ‘soul’ of the Church) People of God
- — Draw relationships between the major ecclesiological themes above.
- — Draw relationships between the mysteries of the Church, the Eucharist, and Mary.
- — Discuss the relationship between the Church’s visible an invisible dimensions.
- — Identify the origin and destiny of the Church.
- — Distinguish between the dual aspects of the Church as meansto and reality of salvation.
- — Explain in-depth what it means to say that: The Church is a sacrament The Church is a communion The Church is missionary by its very nature
- — Identify and elaborate on the ‘properties’ of the Church.
- — Identify and elaborate on the Tria Munera Christi and give examples of how both hierarchy and lay faithful participate in them.