Two essays of 5,000 word
To introduce students to the challenges and opportunities that arise in religiously pluralistic societies.
- The Declaration on Religious Freedom of Vatican 11
- The nature of ‘authentic’ democracy.
- Religious freedom as a fundamental human right.
- Religiously pluralistic societies.
- The scope of religious freedom – worship, dress, schooling?
- — At the end of this module students will:
- — • Be aware of the roots, history and content of the Catholic tradition’s stance on religious freedom.
- — • Be familiar with the contemporary challenges to religious freedom in Ireland and globally.
- — • Understand the centrality of the right to religious freedom for human dignity.
- — • Be aware of the criteria that can be employed in society to legitimately limit the right to religious freedom.
- — International Theological Commission, Religious Freedom for the Good of All: Theological Approaches and Contemporary Challenges, 2019.
- — Charles E Curran [ed], Readings In Moral Theology: Volumes 12 & 13.
- — Declaration on Religious Freedom.