To understand the main features of Gabriel Marcel’s thought.
To understand hope as the unifying theme in his philosophy.
To understand why Marcel still matters today.
- Marcel’s philosophical quest and the place of music and theatre in his thought.
- The technological mentality and how human beings have become strangers to themselves.
- Two kinds of thought – primary and secondary reflection.
- The human being as an incarnate being.
- Presence, communion and the “thou”.
- The Absolute Thou.
- Hope as the force that drives the incarnate being in the direction of transcendence.
- — Understand the principal features Marcel’s thought.
- — Understand what he means by primary and secondary reflection
- — Understand his particular approach to existence and being
- — Understand his metaphysics of hope