Assignment (2,000 words).
To understand the concepts of Catholic Education, religious education and catechesis as it has developed since the Second Vatican Council.
To locate the place of religious education in the contemporary Irish school and its implications for chaplaincy.
To become familiar with the methodology, content and elements of the Grow in Love programme.
To explore the relationship between home, school and parish as partners in religious education and to consider how this relationship can be strengthened.
To investigate particular approaches to chaplaincy in the primary school and the resources necessary for success.
Outline/ Indicative Syllabus
- The Catholic Preschool and Primary Religious Education Curriculum for Ireland (2015)
- An overview of the primary school programme (Grow in Love), including their components, methodologies and ancillary materials.
- The relationship between catechesis and religious education.
- Approaches to the sacraments of First Reconciliation, First Eucharist and Confirmation
- Linking home, school and parish in primary catechesis – how and why?
- Encountering the Classroom
- Celebrating the Liturgical Year in the classroom
- — • Groome, Thomas H, Will There be Faith? Depends on Every Christian, Dublin: Veritas, 2011.
- — • O’Higgins Norman, James, ed., Education Matters – Readings in Pastoral Care for School Chaplains, Guidance Counsellors and Teachers, Dublin: Veritas, 2011.
- — • Lane, Dermot A. Challenges Facing Religious Education in Contemporary Ireland, Dublin: Veritas, 2008.
- — • Harmon, M. and Mahon, E. Prayer Assemblies for Primary Schools. Dublin: Veritas, 2012.
- — • Irish Episcopal Conference, Alive-O Resources. Dublin: Veritas, 1996-2005)
- — • Irish Episcopal Conference, Grow in Love Resources. Dublin: Veritas, 2015-2017.
- — • Mahon, E. The Bridge: Enabling Parents to Share Faith with their Children. Dublin: Veritas, 2013.
- — • Mahon, M. and Delaney, M. Do This In Memory. Dublin: Veritas, 2009.
- — • Mahon, M. You Shall Be My Witnesses. Dublin: Veritas, 2009.
- — • O’Reilly, B. Connecting School and Parish: An Alive-O 5-8 Handbook for Classroom Visitations. Dublin: Veritas, 2007.