Class Work 40% Written Assignment 60%
- To understand the concepts of Catholic Education, religious education and catechesis as it has developed since the Second Vatican Council.
- To locate the place of religious education in the contemporary Irish school and its implications for chaplaincy.
- To become familiar with the methodology, content and elements of the Grow in Love programme.
- To explore the relationship between home, school and parish as partners in religious education and to consider how this relationship can be strengthened.
- To investigate particular approaches to chaplaincy in the primary school and the resources necessary for success.
Outline/ Indicative Syllabus
- Spirituality of the Child
- Religious Education & Catechesis
- Catholic Education
- Religious Education Curriculum and Programme
- Religious Education ad Special education Needs
- Prayer and Liturgical formation in the Classroom
- Sacrament and Sacramental Formation
- — • Groome, Thomas H, Will There be Faith? Depends on Every Christian, Dublin: Veritas, 2011.
- — • O’Higgins Norman, James, ed., Education Matters – Readings in Pastoral Care for School Chaplains, Guidance Counsellors and Teachers, Dublin: Veritas, 2011.
- — • Lane, Dermot A. Challenges Facing Religious Education in Contemporary Ireland, Dublin: Veritas, 2008.
- — • Harmon, M. and Mahon, E. Prayer Assemblies for Primary Schools. Dublin: Veritas, 2012.
- — • Irish Episcopal Conference, Grow in Love Resources. Dublin: Veritas, 2015-2017.
- — • Mahon, E. The Bridge: Enabling Parents to Share Faith with their Children. Dublin: Veritas, 2013.
- — • Mahon, M. and Delaney, M. Do This In Memory. Dublin: Veritas, 2009.
- — • Mahon, M. You Shall Be My Witnesses. Dublin: Veritas, 2009.