5000 word essay
This module provides a critical appraisal of the work of American moral theologian Margaret Farley. Her theological writings cover a wide range of ethical issues, including HIV/AIDS, political ethics, feminism, sexuality, moral discernment, ecclesiology and bioethics. Students will critique Farley’s writings and use her work as a starting-point for a broader theological discussion on each of the chosen topics.
- Theology in a time of AIDS
- Sexuality and Justice
- Moral Discourse in the Public Forum
- Feminism – anything left to say?
- Sermons on the Themes of Holy Week
- Ethics and Ecclesiology
- Experience and moral discernment
- — Margaret A. Farley, Changing The Questions: Explorations in Christian Ethics, (New York: Orbis, 2015).
- — Margaret A. Farley, Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics, (New York: Continuum, 2006).
- — Mary Jo Iozzio (ed.), Calling for Justice Throughout the World: Catholic Women Theologians on the HIV/AIDS Pandemic, (New York: Continuum, 2008).
- — Maura A. Ryan (ed.), Just and True Love: Essays in Honor of Margaret Farley, (University of Notre Dame Press, 2008).