Each student will present a number of in-course papers, a final synthesis paper, and attend an evaluation meeting.
This module will explore the functions of music in Christian Worship, with particular attention paid to the role of the Liturgy of the Hours in Christian traditions. Using a mixture of methods: theory, practice and field trips, participants will grow in their appreciation of the many dimensions of Christian Worship in its sung and prayed expressions.
- — Bradshaw, Paul F. Two Ways of Praying: Introducing Liturgical Spirituality. London: SPCK, 1995.
- — Daly-Denton, Margaret M. Psalm-Shaped Prayerfulness: A Guide to the Christian Reception of the Psalms. Dublin: Columba, 2010.
- — Foley, Edward, Worship Music—A Concise Dictionary. Collegeville: Liturgical, 2000.
- — Joncas, Jan Michael, From Sacred Song to Ritual Music. Collegeville: Liturgical, 1997.
- — National Centre for Liturgy, Singing the Mystery of Faith. Dublin: Veritas, 2015.
- — Taft, Robert, The Liturgy of the Hours in East and West: The Origins of the Divine Office and Its Meaning for Today. Collegeville: Liturgical, 1986.