To equip students preparing for ministry in the Church with a comprehensive understanding of the relationship between the theological, historical and juridical dimensions of the celebration of the sacrament of marriage.
• Marriage in the CIC 17 and CIC 83
• Marriage as Covenant, Sacrament and Contract
• Preparation and Matrimonial Impediments
• Defective Consent and canonical jurisprudence
• Canonical Form
• Mixed Marriages
- — To trace the key doctrinal, historical and juridical developments of the celebration of the sacrament of marriage;
- — To understand the significance of the juridical dimensions of the celebration of the sacrament of marriage and its relationship with best pastoral practice.
- — To identify and read key magisterial documents, jurisprudence and canonical doctrine in relation to the grounds of defective consent and the dissolution of marriage.
- — To have an overview of recent changes to marriage annulment processes
- — Huels, John, A Pastoral Companion: A Canon Law Handbook for Catholic Ministry, Wilson and Lafleur, 2016
- — Bianchi Paolo, When is Marriage Null?, Ignatius Press, 2015.
- — Beal, John, James Coriden, Thomas Green, New Commentary on the Code of Canon Law, Mahwah: Paulist Press, 2000