Class Assessment: 30% Essay: 20% End of Semester Exam 50%
The course is designed to introduce students to aspects of teaching religion in Irish Primary and Secondary Schools.
Faith, spirituality and education
Theological and philosophical perspectives on religious education
Religious Education Methodologies
Integrating Theology in Religious Education
Vision, ethos and Identity in Faith Based Schools
Contemporary Issues and Challenges in Religious Education
Programmes for Religious Education in Post Primary Schools in Ireland
- — Kieran, Patricia and Anne Hession, eds, Exploring Religious Education: Catholic Religious Education in an Intercultural Europe, Dublin: Veritas, 2008.
- — Hession, Anne Catholic Primary Religious Education in a Pluralist Environment, Veritas 2015.
- — Groome, Thomas H, Will There be Faith? Depends on Every Christian, Dublin: Veritas, 2011.
- — O’Higgins Norman, James, ed., Education Matters – Readings in Pastoral Care for School Chaplains, Guidance Counsellors and Teachers, Dublin: Veritas, 2011.
- — Lane, Dermot A. Challenges Facing Religious Education in Contemporary Ireland, Dublin: Veritas, 2008.
- — Ratcliff, Donald E., ed. Handbook of Children’s Religious Education Birmingham, AL: Religious Education Press, 1992.
- — Best, Ron, ed. Education, Spirituality and the Whole Child London: Cassell 1996.
- — Barnes, L. Philip, ed. Debates in Religious Education London: Routledge 2012.
- — Byrne, Garth & Patricia Kieran, Toward Mutual Ground – Pluralism, Religious Education and Diversity in Irish Schools Dublin: Columba Press, 2013.