Continuous Assessment: 30% End of Semester examination: 70%
Based on a foundational understanding of the Church as mystery, communion and mission, this module will study the sacraments from both an historical and theological perspective. Particular focus will be placed on two statements of Vatican II : ‘the purpose of the sacraments is to sanctify people, to build up the body of Christ, and, finally, to give worship to God; because they are signs they also instruct …they are called “sacraments of faith.” ’ [Sacrosanctum Concilium, 59].
- — Demonstrate a knowledge and understanding of the sacramental nature of being Christian
- — Be familiar with developments in sacramental theology
- — Demonstrate an ability to organise and communicate their understanding of issues in sacramental theology through written assignment
- — To reflect on the pastoral dimensions of sacraments
- — Identify the central issues in the theology of each sacrament