The College Chapel was built between 1875 and 1891, funded by the contributions of the Irish people in that difficult period after the famine, and before the foundation of the State. For the first time in over a hundred years a major restoration of the structure is now required, and it has fallen to our generation to preserve the magnificent Chapel for future generations.
Over 11,000 priests have been ordained from Maynooth, and they have served in every parish in Ireland, and in every continent of the world.
The restoration of the College Chapel is costing about €10M. Works completed include the total replacement of the roof, rewiring the whole building and restoration of the five side-chapels around the main altar. The stone roofs had to be removed from these side-chapels, and a semi-permeable membrane inserted to resist the dampness, and then the stone roofs were rebuilt. Finally the richly ornamented interior, artwork and carvings had to be fully restored.
The main project still outstanding is the rebuilding of the organ (€750,000).
All gifts, large or small are greatly appreciated, and all donors will be remembered in Masses in the College in perpetuity. Gifts can be spread over a number of years, and any gift over €250 in any one year from an Irish taxpayer will be tax-deductible.
If you wish to help in any way, please contact Dominic McNamara, Assistant to the President, at Dominic.McNamara@spcm.ie